Monday, November 10, 2014

“Make new friends, but keep the old… one is silver and the other gold….. “

“Make new friends, but keep the old… one is silver and the other gold….. “, “To help people at all times” and “to make the world a better place” – These were some key messages I was taught in my younger years and also what I encourage my two daughters to do.  Then I realized, I’m not doing what I’m asking my daughters to do….other than through their associations (Girl Scouts, Beta Club, Chorus, their friends’ parents, etc., etc. etc.).  It was time to do something on my own! 

I heard about Junior League of Gwinnett & North Fulton Counties through a neighbor (Lisa Gorman) who was a very active member and the VP of Membership (which I found out later).  She invited me to a Crate & Barrel fundraising event and introduced me to many other women that evening.  At the same time, I had been told that I would be losing my job so I needed to find something that would occupy my time and get me out of the house.  I joined in January 2009 and immediately was introduced to many fabulous ladies – Jenny Horton, Sara Collins, Mary Kennon Lewis, Erin Fortney, Angela Peevy, and the list goes on. As members, we gave back to the community and experienced the highs and lows during new member trainings, league socials and various meetings.  As we grew through the League, the circle of League friends expanded to include women who were single, new brides, new Moms, recently divorced, career-oriented, to women who had adult children and in various stages of LIFE.  We come from different communities, age groups, work lives and differing opinions and thoughts and are INCREDIBLY BUSY.  Yet – through social media connections, the fellow JLGNF members are the first to “Like” a celebration or a new photo on Facebook and quick to respond with “How can I help” or “I’m sorry”.  While many of my friends have moved on from Junior League (we remain steadfast friends), my JL circle of friends remains diverse and continues to grow and helps me achieve my goals.  I had found the group of women who sought friendship and wanted to help make the work a better place. 


As my daughters have gotten older, they have helped with the various JLGNF events (worked cookbook tables, modeled for HHHT, helped at Attic Sale & HHHT, etc.) as well as have gotten new babysitting customers and actively participated as customers at various Shop for a Cause events!  As I teach them the life lessons that I learn, I’m recruiting them as future Junior League members….and hope they form deep strong lasting friendships that I was lucky to have and continue to be a caring member of society.  

For more information on how to get involved, e-mail JLGNF at recruitment@jlgnf.org. 

-VanDana "Dana" Wade, 2014-2015 Sustainer Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment